Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) grants may be awarded to fire departments to enhance their ability to protect the public and fire service personnel from fire and related hazards. Three types of grants are available: Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG), Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S), and Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER). Visit the fire grant support website for grant application dates, a description of the types of grants available, and resources to help fire departments prepare and submit grant requests.
SD Firefighter Essentials Grant Program
- Click here to read the press release about the reinstatement of this program.
- To open and print the SD Firefighter Essentials Grant Program Project Agreement Form, click here.
- For further grant assistance, please call the Help Desk @ 1.866.274.0960.
Known Fire Department-Related Grants
- Click here for a list of possible funding grants, training, exercise, and purchasing sources that could be available to South Dakota Fire Departments. Departments will still need to do their own research to determine eligibility, application/funding timeframes, and what the funding is authorized to support. This is not a complete list, just the grants the State Fire Marshalâ??s Office has heard about. If you have any grant information to add to the list, please email the information to us.
Smoke Alarm Grant Program
- Click here to obtain the Smoke Alarm Grant Program Agreement form (Adobe pdf).
- Click here for the agreement in Microsoft Word format.
Assistance to Firefighters Grant