South Dakota's Teen Driving Taskforce
South Dakota's Teen Driving Taskforce was established during 2011 legislative session with the passage of House Bill 1221.
The taskforce is funded by a federal highway safety grant. The group is charged with:
- Examining data on teen driving, including statistics on traffic citations, crashes, injuries, and fatalities.
- Reviewing current laws affecting teen drivers.
- Examining data on driver educaton available for teens.
- Reviewing national best practices to improve safety of young drivers.
- Examining policies or practices that hinder efforts to improve teen driving safety.
The group will then provide recommendations for improving teen driver safety to the 2013 South Dakota Legislature.
Members of the taskforce are listed below:
Nancy Allard, Unified Judicial System
Bob Clark, Insurance Industry
Staci Eggert, South Dakota Sheriff's Association
John Foster, South Dakota Department of Transportation
Cindy Gerber, South Dakota Driver Licensing Program
Peggy Gibson, State Representative
Rich Greenwald, Oglala Sioux Tribe Chief of Police
Steve Haney, Sioux Falls Police Department
Randy Hartley, South Dakota Highway Patrol
Nick Moser, State Representative
Susan Randall PHD, South Dakota Voices for Children
Todd Schlekeway, State Senator
Mark Swendsen, Dakota Radio Group
Craig Tieszen, State Senator
Taskforce Meeting Agendas:
Taskforce Meeting Minutes:
Related Press Releases:
Teen Driving Taskforce Created (12/9/11)
Reports, Related Documents, Findings:
- Evaluation of Driver Education in South Dakota Study SD2009-03 Executive Summary
- Evaluation of Driver Education in South Dakota Study SD2009-03 Final Report
- Graduated Driver Licensing presentation by Cindy Gerber at the January 27, 2012 meeting
- Safe and Sound South Dakota Presentation
- Final Legislative Report - January 2013
- PowerPoint presentation given by Senator Tieszen and Representative Gibson on the Final Report
If you have questions regarding the Teen Driving Taskforce, please contact Lee Axdahl by calling 605.773.4949 or by email.