Driver Licensing


South Dakota has a license law extending the term of the license by members of Armed Forces. Please click here to read the full law.

Veteran Designation on Driver License or ID Card

Veterans who have been honorably discharged from the military have the option of adding the word "Veteran" to the front of their South Dakota driver license or identification card.  Veterans who wish to add the designation to their driver license or non-driver ID card may visit any South Dakota driver license office.  They will need to present their DD-214, which shows their honorable discharge status from active duty, or present a certificate signed by a county or tribal veterans service officer verifying their status.  Effective July 1, 2014, an honorably discharged veteran may show a DD Form 2 (Retired) or DD Form 2A (Reserve Retired) to otain the Veteran designator on their South Dakota driver license or identification card.  They will also need to provide the other documents required of any applicant and pay the appropriate duplicate or renewal fee.