Requesting a Driving Record
The following request forms are required by the South Dakota Department of Public Safety to ensure compliance with the provisions of the Driver's Privacy Protection Act to allow the release of motor vehicle records to you or your employer. Please complete the appropriate form for your situation and have the form notarized. Return the form, along with the $5 per-record fee (if applicable)*. According to South Dakota Codified Law, we are only allowed to retrieve 3 years back from the date the driving record is issued.
Please send forms to:
Driver Licensing Program
118 West Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
If you have questions about requesting a driving record, please call 605.773.6883.
1. To request a 3-year record on yourself for personal use, please click here.
2. If you are an insurance agency, an employer, or state or government agency, please click here.
3. For a complete 3 year driving history for a Commercial Driver's License (including suspensions, revocations, cancellations and disqualifications)
- To request a record for yourself for personal use, please click here.
- If you are an employer (or potential employer), please click here. Please Note: If you request this type of driving record, you must have the driver sign a written consent to keep in your files. It needs to state he/she allows the South Dakota Driver Licensing Program to release this information. The completed application and a $5 fee for each record must be mailed to: Driver Licensing Program, 118 West Capitol Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501.
*Note: state and government agencies are not required to pay the fee.
Individuals may also receive driving records at the following locations:
Aberdeen Exam Station
Brookings Driver Exam Station
Rapid City Driver Exam Station
Sioux Falls Driver Exam Station
Watertown Driver Exam Station
Mitchell Driver Exam Station
Yankton Driver Exam Station
In order to receive a driving record at these driver exam stations, the following is needed:
Businesses may receive driving records at these locations,
but we ask you to limit your requests to 5 records per visit.