Hazardous Materials Endorsement
You must be 21 years of age to obtain a Hazardous Material endorsement.
Procedures for Applying for a Hazardous Material Endorsement
- Complete the application for a security threat assessment background check online by clicking here or call 1.855.347.8371 between 8 am-10pm Eastern, Mon-Fri.
- There is an $86.50* background check fee that will need to be paid upon application. Money orders, company checks, or certified/cashier's checks in the exact amount should be made out to "MorphoTrust USA. Enrollment centers also accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards, but not cash. No change or refunds will be given.
- You may then proceed to a fingerprinting location. You must provide the fingerprinting site with identity/citizenship status documentation, and the name on your documents must match exactly with the name you use on your application. If you have legally changed your name, you must provide a court-ordered name change document in addition to the other required documentation. For a complete list of acceptable enrollment documents, visit the TSA website by clicking here.
- Once the background check is completed, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will notify both the applicant and the state driver licensing authorities.
- At that time, the applicant may return to their local driver exam station, with proof of citizenship in addition to the federally required documents, and complete a knowledge exam to be issued a license with the specific endorsement.
* If you currently hold a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), you may be eligible for a reduced rate on your Hazardous Material Endorsement (HME) background check. If your TWIC is valid and there is at least one year remaining before it expires, the cost for your HME background check can be reduced to $67.00. However, if you choose this reduced rate, your HME can only be issued for five years from the date you were issued a TWIC.
Applicants applying for renewal or transfer of a commercial driver license containing hazardous materials endorsement are required to take the written test, complete the background check and fingerprinting process, and show proof of citizenship in addition to the federally required documents.
If you have a Hazardous Materials endorsement and meet any of the disqualification criteria, you must surrender your commercial driver license to a driver exam station immediately. When you surrender your commercial driver license, you may be issued a commercial driver license without a Hazardous Materials endorsement if you are otherwise qualified.
Help Desk Phone number for TSA is: 1.855.347.8371
The Right Turn, Inc.
124 East Dakota Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
Location ID: 8316
1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
1727 West Main Street, Suite 4
Rapid City, SD 57702
Location ID: 8267
10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
EMSI Sioux Falls
2221 Russell Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Location ID: 8148
Monday - Friday
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Appointments are strongly encouraged. To make an appointment, click here. Walk-in customers will only be processed if the site does not have appointments scheduled.
*Do not sign the application until you are at the fingerprinting site; the signature on the application needs to be witnessed by the person taking the prints.
You must provide one of the documents listed below when making application at a South Dakota driver exam station for a commercial driver license with a hazardous materials endorsement. This document is required in addition to any other documents required for proof of identity. All applicants are required to provide a social security number.
US Citizen: Valid U.S. Passport, certificate of birth that bears an official seal and was issued by a county, state, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the United States; certificate of birth abroad issued by the United States Department of State (Form FS-545 or DS 1350); certificate of naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570); or certificate of United States Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
Immigration Status Documentation: Permanent Resident Card, Alien Regristration Receipt Card (Form I-551); Temporary I-551 stamp in Foreign Passport; Temporary I-551 stamp in form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record with photograph of the bearer; Re-entry Permit Form 1-327