Driver Licensing

Hazardous Materials Endorsement

Hazardous Material Endorsement Manual


You must be 21 years of age to obtain a Hazardous Material endorsement.

Procedures for Applying for a Hazardous Material Endorsement

Complete the application for a security threat assessment background check online at or by phone at 877.429.7746 through the call center. There is an $86.50* background check fee that will need to be paid upon application.  You may then proceed to a fingerprinting location.  You must provide the fingerprinting site with identity/citizenship status documentation, and the name on your documents must match exactly with the name you use on your application.  If you have legally changed your name, you must provide a court-ordered name change document in addition to the other required documentation.  For a complete list of acceptable enrollment documents, visit  Once the background check is completed, the Transportation Security Administration will notify both the applicant and the state driver licensing authorities.  At that time, the applicant may return to their local driver exam station, with proof of citizenship in addition to the federally required documents and complete a knowledge exam to be issued a license with the specific endorsement.

* If you currently hold a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), you may be eligible for a reduced rate on your Hazardous Material Endorsement (HME) background check.  If your TWIC is valid and there is at least one year remaining before it expires, the cost for your HME background check can be reduced to $67.00.  However, if you choose this reduced rate your HME can only be issued for five years from the date you were issued a TWIC.

Applicants applying for renewal or transfer of a commercial driver license containing hazardous materials endorsement are required to take the written test, complete the background check and fingerprinting process, and show proof of citizenship in addition to the federally required documents. 

If you have a Hazardous Materials endorsement, and meet any of the disqualification criteria, you must surrender your commercial driver license to a driver exam station immediately.  When you surrender your commercial driver license, you may be issued a commercial driver license without a Hazardous Materials endorsement if you are otherwise qualified.

Contact Phone numbers for TSA are:
Application Status: 877.429.7746
General Information: 866.289.9673
TSA Media Contact: 571.227.2829


Finger Printing Locations


1727 W Main Street - Suite 4

Rapid City SD  57702

By Appointment Only

Call 605.716.6582

EMSI Sioux Falls
2221 Russell Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Appointments are appreciated!!
Call 605.728.5999

The locations below are for South Dakota residents only!  You must call for an appointment.

If you choose to have your fingerprinting done at one of the below law enforcement locations, you will need to bring the completed Application for a Hazardous Materials Endorsement form.  You will also need to complete the form* and pay the appropriate fee on-line or through the call center before fingerprinting at one of the above sites.
*Do not sign the application until you are at the fingerprinting site; the signature on the application needs to be witnessed by the officer taking the prints.

Brown County Sheriff's Office
25 Market Street
Aberdeen, SD 57401
Call for times:
Perkins County Sheriff Department
100 East Main Street
Bison, SD 57620
Wednesday 1-4 p.m.
by appointment only.
Brule County Sheriff's Office
300 South Courtland #112
Chamberlain, SD 57325
Call for appointment:

Ziebach County Sheriff's Office
Main Street
Dupree, SD 57623
Call for appointment:

Marshall County Sheriff's Office
911 Vanderhorck
Britton, SD 57430
Call for appointment:


Back to Top

Proof of Citizenship


You must provide one of the documents listed below when making application at a South Dakota driver exam station for a commercial driver license with a hazardous materials endorsement.  This document is required in addition to any other documents required for proof of identity.  All applicants are required to provide a social security number.

US Citizen:  Valid U.S. Passport, certificate of birth that bears an official seal and was issued by a county, state, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the United States; certificate of birth abroad issued by the United States Department of State (Form FS-545 or DS 1350); certificate of naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570); or certificate of United States Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)

Immigration Status Documentation:  Permanent Resident Card, Alien Regristration Receipt Card (Form I-551); Temporary I-551 stamp in Foreign Passport; Temporary I-551 stamp in form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record with photograph of the bearer; Re-entry Permit  Form 1-327

Back to Top

List of Disqualifying Criminal Offenses for Hazardous Materials Endorsement


Other Websites of interest to commercial drivers:
All links will open in a new browser.  Close the browser to come back to this page.

Hazardous Materials Application

Transportation Security Administration

South Dakota Trucking Information

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

South Dakota Trucking Association

Back to Top