Organ, Eye, and Tissue Donation
South Dakotans can now register online to be an organ, eye, and tissue donor. To register click Online Donor Registry. (effective July 1, 2013)
There are many more people in need of a transplant than there are organs available. A new name is added to the national transplant waiting list every 12 minutes and, unfortunately, 18 people die each day waiting for an organ transplant. Registering to be a donor provides hope to those in need.
By making the decision to register as on organ, eye, and tissue donor you have the power to give the gift of life. When you indicate on your driver license or identification card that you wish to give the precious gift of life by being an organ, eye, and tissue donor, you are giving a gift to your family as well. When you are a registered donor your decision will be honored. If you are not registered as a donor, your family will be asked to make a decision about donation on your behalf.
There are several ways to register as a donor:
- Check the box on your South Dakota driver license or non-driver ID card application when you first apply for your license/ID card or when you renew
- Register online, anytime, through the Online Donor Registry.
- Submit this form to the Department of Public Safety and we will add the donor indication to your record. Please note: anyone under the age of 18 must also submit the Parental Consent Form.
After you have registered as a donor online or by mailing in the paper form(s), you will be sent a letter indicating you have registered to be a donor, along with a sticker to affix to your driver license or identification card. You will not receive a new license or ID card until you renew.
Please remember to share your decision with your family. Knowing what you want can be a source of comfort for your family.
If at a future time you decide to amend or revoke your donor designation, you may do one or more of the following things (pursuant to South Dakota Codified Law 34-26-53):
- Write the word "remove" in the appropriate place on your driver license or non-driver ID card application when you renew
- Mark the appropriate box to either add or remove the donor indication from your driver license or ID card through the Online Donor Registry.
Should you decide to register as a donor on your driver license or non-driver identification card, we sincerely thank you for helping in this most worthy cause. We hope you will encourage others to join you in this effort.
If you have any questions about organ and tissue donation, please contact Lifesource, toll-free, at 1.888.5.DONATE. For questions about eye and tissue donation, please contact the South Dakota Lions Eye & Tissue Bank.
Other helpful links: