South Dakota Driving Records
You can request a certified abstract of a driving record to view traffic convictions, accident dates and license status. Employers, insurance companies and government agencies may also request records. According to South Dakota law, only the most recent three years of driving history can be released, except an individual may request their complete driving history.
Request a Driving Record
To request a record, please complete the appropriate form below and have it notarized. Mail the form, along with a $5 fee per-record to:
Driver Licensing Program
118 West Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
*State and government agencies are not required to pay the $5 fee.
- Request from Record Holder for Three Year Driving Record (three year record for personal use)
- Request from Record Holder for Full Driving Record (individuals can request a full driving history record on themselves)
- Request to Obtain Abstract (for employers, insurance companies, or government agencies)
- Request from CDL Holder for Three Year Driving Record
- Request from Employer/Prospective Employer for Three Year CDL Driving Record
- Please Note: If you request this type of a driving record, you must have the driver sign a written consent to keep in your files. It needs to state he/she allows the South Dakota Driver Licensing Program to release this information.
In-person Driving Record Requests
Currently, South Dakota exam stations are open
by appointment only for customers
who need to complete testing.
Exam stations are not issuing driving records at this time.
Please use the method above
to request driving records until further notice.
Please limit your requests to five records per visit. You’ll need to bring: Proof of identity Exact change or personal check for $5 per record Individuals and businesses may retrieve three year driving records in-person at the following locations:
Aberdeen Driver Exam Station 2729 West Highway 12
Brookings Driver Exam Station 910 4th Street
Mitchell Driver Exam Station 1315 North Main Street, Suite 100
Rapid City Drive Exam Station 1301 East Catron Boulevard
Sioux Falls Driver Exam Station 2501 West Russell Street
Watertown Driver Exam Station 2001 9th Avenue SW, Suite 100
Yankton Driver Exam Station 3113 Spruce Street, Suite 109