Emergency Management Grants

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) provides funding to state, local, tribal, and territorial governments so they can develop hazard mitigation plans and rebuild in a way that reduces, or mitigates, future disaster losses in their communities. This grant funding is available after a presidentially declared disaster. In this program, homeowners and businesses cannot apply for a grant; however, a local community may apply for funding on their behalf.

Resources for HMGP:

FEMA Hazard Mitigation - Before You Apply

FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program Information

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program - Post Fire

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP-PF) is assistance available to help communities implement hazard mitigation measures after wildfire disasters. This grant is very similar to the regular HMGP.

Resources for HMGP-PF:

Apply for Post-Fire

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program Post Fire Information

Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities

The Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC) program aims to categorically shift the federal focus away from reactive disaster spending and toward research-supported, proactive investment in community resilience. Examples of BRIC projects are ones that demonstrate innovative approaches to partnerships, such as shared funding mechanisms, and/or project design. While there are nationally competitive funds available to apply for, each state does receive an allotment each year to spend on specific projects in the respective state. The deadline for competitive and state allocation will be the same.

Resources for BRIC:

BRIC - Before You Apply

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program BRIC Information

Flood Mitigation Assistance Program

The Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant program is a competitive program that provides funding to states, local communities, federally recognized tribes, and territories. To be eligible for FMA funds, there must be at least one building insured by the National Flood Insurance Program. FMA heavily focuses on reducing risks of flooding and providing funding to homes that may be repetitive or sever repetitive loss properties.

Resources for FMA:

Flood Mitigation Assistance Program - Before You Apply

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program Flood Mitigation Assistance Information

All HMA application deadlines and resources can be found using the HMA 101 Guide.


Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness Grant

The Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness (HMEP) grant program is intended to provide financial and technical assistance as well as national direction and guidance to enhance state and local hazardous materials emergency planning and training.

The Grant Program distributes fees collected from shippers and carriers of hazardous materials to emergency responders training and to local emergency planning committees (LEPCs) for hazmat planning. In some cases, only LEPCs that are in compliance with SARA, Title III regulations may apply for the grants.

All federal hazardous materials grants are allocated by Congress on an annual basis. There are no guarantees that grant funding will be available the entire year or every year.

The following grant is most commonly available in South Dakota.

  • The Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness (HMEP) grant provides funds for hazardous materials training and planning. The planning portion of the grant is available to state governments and LEPCs for hazardous materials emergency response planning and exercising. The grant pays for projects such as commodity flow studies, writing and printing emergency response plans and hazards analyses. HMEP training funds are available to state and/or local public sector employees or volunteers involved in hazardous materials emergency response.

States often receive other hazardous materials planning and training grants from federal agencies. In the past FEMA has granted funds under the Hazardous Materials Financial Assistance Project (HMFAP) and Comprehensive Emergency Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA). The Environmental Protection Agency also provides states, and especially tribal government, with hazardous materials grant opportunities.

The following documents can be used to assist with hazardous materials preparedness:

For questions on grants, feel free to contact us .

DPS Directory

Find a Contact

Search by agency and/or name.

DPS Resource Library

Find the Documents You Need