South Dakota Fire Laws

To uphold fire safety standards and prevent the loss of life and property, South Dakota has created and enacted fire laws to protect its citizens. More information on each law can be found from the South Dakota Legislative Research Council.


Code Compliance

Administrative Rule 61:15: Review plan documents for construction projects involving school facilities, daycare facilities, flammable/combustible liquids storage and dispensing in bulk plant, processing plant, and retail motor fueling operations; and liquefied petroleum bulk plants and fueling or filling operations. Applicable model codes, standards for construction and procedures for submitting design documents and specifications will be outlined.



Statute 34:36: The State Fire Marshal's Office issues explosive permits for using, transporting, manufacturing and storing explosives for a three-year period at no charge. For permit information, see forms and applications.


Fire Investigation

Statute 34-29B: Origin and cause investigations may be performed when a fire results in a fatality, serious injury, catastrophic loss or when there is a suspicious circumstance such as criminal activity.


Fire Safe Cigarettes

Statute 34-49: In 2009, members of the South Dakota Legislature passed a law regarding cigarette fire safety standards. To register fire safe cigarette products with the state, see forms and applications.



Statute 34:37: The State Fire Marshal's Office issues fireworks licenses for wholesale, retail and special retail sales. For license information, see forms and applications.


Manufactured Homes

Statute 34-34A: All residential manufactured homes (mobile homes) must comply with the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards. Since June 15, 1976, manufacturers have confirmed compliance with the Standards by attaching a certification label on the back of each unit produced. The State Fire Marshal’s Office can help a homeowner resolve a complaint depending on the seriousness of the problem. In cases where safety-related defects in homes create an unreasonable risk of injury or death to the occupants, manufacturers must correct the defect in a short period. HUD cannot require correction unless the defects were introduced into the home during the manufacturing process.

If a problem arises with a manufactured (mobile) home, the first contact should be the dealer. Most problems can be resolved quickly. If the dealer cannot help, the next contact should be the manufacturer. It is important to put a complaint in writing for the dealer and manufacturer. This complaint should always include the serial number. If the dealer and the manufacturer do not resolve your concerns, the next step would be to contact our office. See HUD safety standards and visit the form and applications page to file a complaint.


DPS Directory

Find a Contact

Search by agency and/or name.

DPS Resource Library

Find the Documents You Need