The State Fire Service Training Program offers training materials and coordinates training courses for state fire school, district fire schools, National Fire Academy courses and other special training classes.
The program provides for the certification of firefighters, fire instructors, fire apparatus driver/operators, and fire officers through certified training programs.
Driver/Operator Course (Aerial Operator Optional)
The IFSTA 3rd Edition "Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook" is the accepted curriculum for this 40-hour course, which includes about eight hours of practical activities and an eight-hour EVOC class. Subject areas covered: driving emergency vehicles, fire pump basics, maintenance, water supply and pump discharge calculations. Aerial operator is an additional portion that can be offered along with the pumping apparatus class.
Rescue Operations Course
The IFSTA Rescue Technician's Course is about 40 hours in length, with half of the class time spent doing hands-on activities. Automobile, school bus and heavy truck extrication are covered, plus low angle rope rescue, water rescue, trench and confined space awareness, and patient packaging.
The foundation of fire service training is covered in the basic certified firefighter program. IFSTA's 6th Edition Essentials Program or Jones and Bartlett 3rd Edition Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills can be used as the guide for this estimated 80-hour entry level program with an additional 40 hours of performance competencies.
Fire Officer Program
Officer level training is available for all current and potential fire officers. This course uses the IFSTA Fire and Emergency Services Company Officer 5th Edition curriculum as its basis. Subject areas include fire cause determination, communications, and a significant study of incident command and strategy and tactics.
Fire Instructor Certification
The South Dakota Certified Fire Instructor course prepares future instructors to train members of their own organization as well as traveling to other departments. This course begins with pre-course work at home, plus one weekend of classroom study and presentations.
For details on these courses, contact us.
Hundreds of videos and DVDs are available for South Dakota firefighter and first responder training and public education. These videos are available for loan through the Pierre office. There is no charge for using the videos, but you’re encouraged to return them in a timely manner to ensure they are available for others. Contact us for more information.
Online Training Resources
- Responder Safety Learning Network
- Free online training courses for roadway responders.
- Fire Hero Learning Network
- Free online courses for health, safety and leadership.
- Ambulance Driver Competencies
- A list of competencies and resources for EMS.
Firefighter Safety Links
- Everyone Goes Home
- To prevent line of duty deaths and injuries, the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation has launched a national initiative to bring prevention to the forefront.
- The National Fire Fighter Near-Miss Reporting System is a voluntary, confidential, non-punitive and secure reporting system with the goal of improving firefighter safety.
- This site allows visitors to read about the "close call" experiences of other firefighters and emergency services personnel, with the goal of preventing injuries and deaths.
You may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view files.