Renew Your Driver’s License Online
Avoid waiting in line. You may be able to renew your South Dakota Driver’s License online once every ten years with our easy online renewal system.
You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
You must currently have an unexpired, federally compliant driver’s license/ID card with a gold star in the upper right corner.
- You’ll need to provide your driver’s license/ID card number, date of birth and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- You’ll need to upload, email, fax (605-773-3018), or mail two documents to prove your residential/physical address. Documents must show your name and must be less than one year old. Active military personnel and their dependents may use two documents proving their out-of-state residential address or APO/FPO address (if stationed overseas).
- If you’re 65 or older, a vision statement less than six months old is also required. Scores must be recorded on our vision statement form.
- Drivers who wear bioptic lenses aren’t eligible for online renewal.
- We accept Visa or MasterCard for payment.
You need to visit a Driver Licensing location if:
- You have not applied in person in the last ten years.
- You wish to change your name.
- You wish to change your license class, CDL class or endorsements.
- You are required to take a driving test.
- You wear bioptic lenses.
- You have updated your status with USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.)
If you have been issued a driver's license or ID card in another state, your South Dakota license or ID card is inactive, and you are not eligible for online renewal.
If you’re ready to begin, click below to start your renewal. Once finished, your license will be mailed in 2-3 weeks. If you’re mailing proof of address or vision statement documents, it may take longer.
All information in your online transaction will be secure. A payment processing fee of $2.00 will be charged in addition to the renewal fee. If you’re having difficulties using this site, email us or call (605) 773-6883.