SD Homeland Security
The South Dakota Office of Homeland Security works to prevent terrorism, enhance security and support response for all-hazards incidents.
The South Dakota Office of Homeland Security was established in 2003 to address terrorism-related threats in South Dakota. Since its creation, the Office of Homeland Security has broadened its scope to focus on an inclusive, all-hazards approach to homeland security as well as expanded partnerships in the state at all levels of government and in the private sector. In order to achieve its mission, the Office of Homeland Security has assisted counties, cities, tribes, law enforcement, fire departments, schools, ambulance services and other agencies to improve all-hazards response capabilities.
South Dakota Homeland Security initiatives include:
- Develop all-hazards response plans.
- Coordinate an extensive information-sharing network between all levels of government, local officials and private partners.
- Administering Homeland Security grants to assist counties, cities, tribes, law enforcement, fire departments, schools, ambulance services and other agencies to secure the resources needed to prevent and to respond to all-hazards incidents should they occur.
- Coordinating training efforts with special groups like SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) teams and Taskforce 1 as well as support for the South Dakota Fusion Center.
- Promoting Homeland Security awareness and safety initiatives such as If You See Something, Say Something.
Homeland Security and Emergency Management Senior Advisory Committee
Recommendations for the administration of Homeland Security and Emergency Management programs are provided by the Homeland Security and Emergency Management Senior Advisory Committee. Committee representatives are described below.
- Animal Industry Board
- Attorney General’s Office
- Chiefs of Police Association
- SD Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Governor’s Office of Tribal Relations
- Bureau of Information and Telecommunications
- Office of Emergency Management Regional Coordinators
- Native American Tribes
- Taskforce 1
- SD Department of Agriculture
- SD Department of Health
- SD Department of the Military
- SD Department of Public Safety
- SD Fusion Center
- SD National Guard
- Sheriffs Association
- State Radio Communications
- US Department of Homeland Security
- SD Department of Game, Fish and Parks
- SD Highway Patrol
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- National Terrorism Alert System
- Active Shooter Preparedness | Homeland Security
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Marshals Service
Homeland Security Documents
You may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view files.