Renew Your Driver’s License by Mail
If you’d rather not renew online, you can also apply for your license renewal through the mail. Please allow several weeks for your new license to arrive.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- You must currently have an unexpired, federally compliant driver’s license/ID card with a gold star in the upper right corner.
- You must complete a license application form. Applications will not be accepted without a signature and date included on the bottom of the form.
- You’ll need to mail two documents to prove your residential/physical address (no more than one year old and in your name). Active military personnel and their dependents may use two documents proving their out-of-state residential address or APO/EPO address (if stationed overseas).
- Please provide proof of military status if applicable.
- If you’re 65 or older, a vision statement less than six months old is also required. Scores must be recorded on our vision statement form.
- Drivers who wear bioptic lenses aren’t eligible for mail-in renewal.
- Include the application fee of $28 for Class 1, 2 or 3; or $33 for Class A, B or C (hazmat endorsement cannot be renewed by mail). Make checks payable to “Department of Public Safety.”
- Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for license return.
Please send completed application and documents to:
Driver Licensing Program
118 West Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
You need to visit a Driver Licensing location if:
- You have not applied in person in the last ten years.
- You wish to change your name.
- You wish to change your license class, CDL class or endorsements.
- You are required to take a driving test.
- You wear bioptic lenses.
If you have been issued a driver's license or ID card in another state, your South Dakota license or ID card is inactive, and you are not eligible for renewal by mail.