Print Email


CDL medical certificates that expired

on of after december 1, 2020
have until May 31, 2021

to renew/submit
a new certificate.



Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT)


FMCSA’s Entry Level Driver Training will become a requirement on Feb. 7, 2022. This includes those applying to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

Training Provider Registry (TPR)


Once operational, the FMCSA Training Provider Registry will retain a record of which CDL applicants have completed the new ELDT training and certification process outlined in the Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations.


For more information about the ELDT regulations and the Training Provider registry, visit

Commercial Driver License

Apply for a South Dakota CDL

You must have a South Dakota Commercial Driver License (CDL) if you’re operating a vehicle:

  • With a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds or any such vehicle towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more
  • Designed to transport 16 or more people (including the driver)
  • Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials placards or is carrying material listed as a select agent or toxin in 49 CFR Part 73


To apply for your South Dakota CDL or Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP), you’ll need to have a valid South Dakota Driver License and a few other things:


You’ll also need to take a CDL driving skills test at a third party testing site. Keep in mind that drive tests must be scheduled at least two business days in advance, and you must drive on your CLP for 14 days prior to taking the drive test. Third-party testers charge $90 plus tax for a driving skills test. No testing is required to transfer a valid CDL from another state unless you are applying for a hazardous materials endorsement.

For motor carrier information including rules, ports of entry and permitting, visit South Dakota Truck Info.


Military Personnel

If you have two years' experience safely operating heavy military vehicles, you may be eligible to obtain a CDL without a driving skills test by completing a military waiver and submitting the information included on this check list.


South Dakota Driver's License

Get your CDL in a Snap

Need to apply for or renew your commercial driver’s license? Review CDL manuals to get ready for testing. Then review third party testers to take your CDL driving test and hit the road.

See CDL FAQs for more information. 

DPS Directory

Find a Contact

Search by agency and/or name.

DPS Resource Library

Find the Documents You Need