Highway Patrol Duties
The duties of today's Highway Patrol troopers are demanding and diverse. In addition to performing law enforcement work, the South Dakota Highway Patrol oversees motor carrier regulation, conducts crash investigations and assists motorists during times of stress.
Officers work under supervision of a squad sergeant and may receive work direction from academy training officers and field training officers until proficient in assigned duties.
- Enforcement of traffic laws
- DUI detection and apprehension
- Drug interdiction
- Safety education
- Accident investigation
- Rendering medical aid to sick and injured
- Public speaking
- Court room testimony
- Protection of dignitaries
- Restoring order during public disturbance
- Helping the motoring public
- Assisting other law enforcement agencies