SOUTH DAKOTA WILDLAND FIRE
Wildland Fire has 10 separate but interdependent program functions that address fire management and suppression. Each program function represents a specific management need but is dependent and impacted by the other program functions. None of the program functions can stand-alone and still meet their responsibilities as defined by state law.
The 10 functional program areas are:
- Fire Suppression
- Prescribed Fire
- Wildland Fire Training
- Fire Aviation Support
- Fire Management
- Hazardous Fuels Mitigation
- Volunteer Fire Assistance Grants
- Federal Excess Personal Property (FEPP) and Firefighter Property (FFP)
- Fire Prevention
Each program area supports the functions of the others. Changes in any one area directly impacts all areas.
The mission of the South Dakota Wildland Fire Division is to provide protection for resources and the public that we serve from wildland fire.
Through effort and actions, we will be leaders in fire to enhance public safety by increasing the management capabilities of the South Dakota Wildland Fire Division within the State of South Dakota.
Our complete website can be found at https://wildlandfire.sd.gov/ or use the specific links below:
- Wildland Fire
- Fuels Mitigation
- Fire Prevention
- Campfire Permits
- Burn Permits (CLOSED FOR THE SEASON)
- VFD Quick Links
- Fire Info
- Wildland Fire Strategic Plan
- Wildland Fire Training Calendar
- Infectious Disease Pandemic - Best Management Practices (BMP)
- SDWF Mini Mobilization Guide
- Seasonal Hiring
- Incident Qualification System (IQS)
- Wildfire Awareness Month - Coloring Contest
Twitter @SDWildland Fire
Facebook SD Wildland Fire Division
For our mailing address, phone number, office hours, and staff directory, please click here.