To be eligible for a South Dakota Driver License, you must have a physical residential address located in South Dakota, live full time in an RV/camper, or travel full time for work (for example, traveling nurse, truck driver, etc.).
If you use a mail forwarding service, you will be required to complete a residency affidavit and have your signature notarized by a public notary. The residency affidavit includes a perjury statement indicating the answers you provided on the form are true and correct. California public notary page must specify the accompanying document being signed for.
Want to obtain a South Dakota Driver License or ID card?
- To obtain a driver license or ID card for the first time in South Dakota, you will be required to visit a South Dakota driver licensing location in-person.
- You will need to provide the required documents.
- You will need to pay the required fees.
- You will need to complete an application (you can print and complete this form before you arrive at the exam station).
- If you use a mail forwarding service, you will be required to complete a residency affidavit, including a perjury statement indicating the answers you provided on the form are true and correct. and have your signature notarized by a public notary. The residency affidavit includes a perjury statement indicating the answers you provided on the form are true and correct. California public notary page must specify the accompanying document being signed for.
- For a driver license, the driver examiner will test your vision and you may be required to take a written knowledge or drive test.
- If you are currently a licensed in another state, you will be required to forfeit (turn in) the other license. You cannot be licensed in more than one state or keep the other card for any reason.
Need to renew or replace your South Dakota Driver’s License or ID card?
- You may be eligible to renew or request a duplicate (replacement) license or card online or by mail. If your license or ID card has not yet expired and you did not use the online or mail-in method 5 years ago (the last time you renewed or replaced), then you may be eligible!
- If you plan to visit South Dakota to renew or replace your South Dakota driver license or ID card, it may be helpful to schedule an appointment at the Driver Exam Station you plan to visit. To schedule an appointment, please click here. We recommend you schedule your appointment well in advance so you can time the appointment to coincide with your visit to South Dakota.
- Walk-in customers are welcome at all South Dakota Driver Exam Stations if you prefer not to schedule an appointment. Find a location here.
- A completed Residency Affidavit
- A receipt from a South Dakota hotel/motel, campground or RV park to prove one night of stay within the last year. The receipt must include your name.
- One document, no more than one year old, proving your personal mailbox (PMB) service address. This document could include a receipt from the PMB business or a piece of mail (cannot be handwritten) with your PMB address on it. Virtual addresses or virtual postal addresses will not be accepted.
If you have friends or family in South Dakota and plan to use their address, you must complete the Consent for Use of Address form.
Renew Online Documents
You may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view files.
|Document Requirements 2023.pdf