Our goal is to ensure the safety of all people in South Dakota. The 11
agencies within the Department work in numerous ways to serve the state
and its residents.
We invite you to browse this website to learn more about us.
And we encourage you to contact us if you are in need of
Are you prepared to travel during the winter?
Check road conditions in South Dakota
Click here for the 2015 Winter Weather
Driver License - Renewal Appointment Scheduling
Make a renewal appointment online:
- Online scheduling is available for renewal appointments at the Aberdeen, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, and Watertown Driver Exam Stations.
- Drive test appointments must be made online for a number of driver exam locations across the state.
- Click here for more information about online scheduling.
Make a renewal appointment over the telephone:
- You may schedule a renewal appointment at the Aberdeen, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, or Watertown Exam Station by calling our Customer Service Center at 605-773-6883 Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM Central Time.
- You must schedule a drive test appointment in Aberdeen, Brookings, Elk Point, Huron, Madison, Milbank, Mitchell, North Sioux City, Parker, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Sisseton, Vermillion, Watertown, Webster, and Yankton by calling our Customer Service Center at 605-773-6883 Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM Central Time.
- Click here for more information.
For updated wait times at the Sioux Falls Driver Exam location, follow SDDriverLicense on Twitter, or click here to read our posted tweets.
Documents Needed to Obtain a SD Driver License or ID card
Click on the link above for a list of documents you'll need to take with you to the driver exam station to obtain or renew a South Dakota driver license or photo ID card.
Check out our 2014 Annual Report