For Commercial Driver Licenses (CDL):

  • The TSA is granting a temporary 180-day exemption from the requirements in 49 CFR part 1572 regarding expiration of TSA security threat assessments (STAs) for Hazardous Material Endorsement (HME) holders -- read further
  • The FMCSA has granted a waiver through June 30, 2020 from certain regulations applicable to interstate and intrastate commercial driver’s license (CDL) and commercial learner’s permit (CLP) holders and to other interstate drivers operating commercial motor vehicles (CMVs).  Read the full waiver here.

Hazmat Fingerprinting Locations


TSA Background Check Application Requirements

  • Begin by completing a hazardous materials endorsement form.  This form must be completed for the background check before going to a fingerprint location.  Do not sign the form until you are at the fingerprinting site, as your signature on the form must be witnessed. 
  • Complete a security threat assessment background check online.  You can also call 1-855-347-8371, Monday - Friday 8:00a.m. - 10:00p.m. (EST).  You'll need to pay a fee of $86.50 upon completion.  You can pay online or fingerprint sites accept money orders, company checks, certified/cashier's checks, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.  Cash is not accepted, and no refunds will be given.  If you hold a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), you may be eligible for a reduced rate of $67.00.
  • After applying, you must provide your fingerprints as part of the background check process.  You can have your prints taken at an authorized fingerprinting location.
  • At the fingerprinting station, you must provide proof of citizenship such as a valid U.S. passport, official birth certificate, certificate of birth abroad (Form FS-545 or DS 1350), certificate of naturalization, certificate of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident card.
  • All applicants are required to provide a Social Security number.
  • Your name must exactly match the name on your documents.  If you've legally changed your name, you must provide a court ordered name change document in addition to the other documentation required by the TSA.
  • Once the federal background check is complete, you can return to your local Driver Licensing location with proof of citizenship and other required documents to complete a knowledge exam for your endorsement.

If you are applying for a renewal or transfer of a CDL with hazardous materials endorsement, you will have to take the written test, complete the background check and fingerprinting process, and show proof of citizenship.

For questions, call the TSA help desk at 1-855-347-8371.

To secure your hazmat endorsement as part of your CDL, you need to pass a TSA Hazardous Materials Endorsement, which includes submitting your fingerprints.

Fingerprinting sites are located in Rapid City and Sioux Falls.  Find information, appointments, locations and times on the TSA Enrollment Center Locator.


South Dakota Driver's License

Get your CDL in a Snap

Need to apply for or renew your commercial driver’s license? Review CDL manuals to get ready for testing. Then review third party testers to take your CDL driving test and hit the road.

See CDL FAQs for more information. 

DPS Directory

Find a Contact

Search by agency and/or name.

DPS Resource Library

Find the Documents You Need