Hazmat Fingerprinting Locations
TSA Background Check Application Requirements
- First, complete a hazardous materials endorsement form. You must complete this form and the background check before going on to a fingerprint location. Do not sign the application until you are at the fingerprinting site; the signature must be witnessed.
- Complete a security threat assessment background check online. You can also call 1-855-347-8371, Monday - Friday 8:00a.m. - 10:00a.m. (EST). You'll need to pay a fee of $86.50 upon completion. You can pay online or fingerprint sites accept money orders, company checks, certified/cashier's checks, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. Cash is not accepted, and no refunds will be given. If you hold a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), you may be eligible for a reduced rate of $67.00.
- After applying, you must provide your fingerprints as part of the background check process. You can have your prints taken at an authorized fingerprinting location.
- At the fingerprinting station, you must provide proof of citizenship such as a valid U.S. passport, official birth certificate, certificate of birth abroad (Form FS-545 or DS 1350), certificate of naturalization, certificate of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident card.
- All applicants are required to provide a Social Security number.
- Your name must exactly match the name on your documents. If you've legally changed your name, you must provide a court ordered name change document in addition to the other documentation required by the TSA.
- Once the federal background check is complete, you can return to your local Driver Licensing location with proof of citizenship and other required documents to complete a knowledge exam for your endorsement.
If you are applying for a renewal or transfer of a CDL with hazardous materials endorsement, you will have to take the written test, complete the background check and fingerprinting process, and show proof of citizenship.
For questions, call the TSA help desk at 1-855-347-8371.
To secure your hazmat endorsement as part of your CDL, you need to pass a TSA Hazardous Materials Endorsement, which includes submitting your fingerprints.
Fingerprinting sites are located in Rapid City and Sioux Falls. Find information, appointments, locations and times on the TSA Enrollment Center Locator.