For Commercial Driver Licenses (CDL) with Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME)
An extension has been granted that exempts individuals with Hazardous Materials Endorsements (HMEs) expiring between 10/30/2020 – 12/31/2020 from having to obtain a new HME Security Threat Assessment.
Your HME will be automatically extended 180 days from it's current expiration date.
Read the full federal exemption extension here.
Hazmat Fingerprinting Locations
TSA Background Check Application Requirements
- Complete a security threat assessment background check application online (click here) or by calling
1-855-347-8371 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. (EST). You can pay the $86.50 application fee at the fingerprint site. Payment can be made by money order, company check, certified/cashier's check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Cash is not accepted and no refunds will be given. If you hold a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), you may be eligible for a reduced rate of $67.
- After applying, you must be fingerprinted at an authorized fingerprinting location.
- At the fingerprinting site, you must provide proof of citizenship, such as a valid U.S. passport, official birth certificate, certificate of birth abroad (Form FS-545 or DS 1350), certificate of naturalization, certificate of U.S. citizenship, or permanent resident card.
- All applicants are required to provide a Social Security number.
- Your name must exactly match the name on your documents. If you've legally changed your name, you must provide a court ordered name change document in addition to the other documentation required by the TSA.
- Once the federal background check is complete, you can return to your local Driver Licensing location with proof of citizenship and other required documents to complete a knowledge exam for your endorsement.
If you are applying for a renewal or transfer of a CDL with hazardous materials endorsement, you will be rquired to pass the hazmat test, complete the background check and fingerprinting process, and show proof of citizenship.
For questions, call the TSA help desk at 1-855-347-8371.
Find information, appointments, locations, and times on the TSA Enrollment Center Locator.