COVERED Farm Vehicles:

A covered farm vehicle is equipped with a special license plate or other designation by the state in which the vehicle is registered to allow for identification of the vehicle by law enforcement personnel. 

A covered farm vehicle does not include a vehicle that is transporting hazardous materials in an amount that requires placarding, nor a vehicle that is operating on a for-hire basis.

In order to use the farm vehicle exemptions, the vehicle must be equipped with a farm sticker on your license plate, which can be obtained for free at your local County Treasurer's office.

Or,  you can find a SD Covered Farm Vehicle Designation form at  The form must be printed, signed, and kept in the power unit.

If you have questions about SD Covered Farm Vehicles, call South Dakota Motor Carrier Services (605) 773-4578.


South Dakota Driver's License

Get your CDL in a Snap

Need to apply for or renew your commercial driver’s license? Review CDL manuals to get ready for testing. Then review third party testers to take your CDL driving test and hit the road.

See CDL FAQs for more information. 

DPS Directory

Find a Contact

Search by agency and/or name.

DPS Resource Library

Find the Documents You Need