Renew Your Driver’s License Online
You may be able to renew your South Dakota driver’s license online once every ten years with our easy online renewal system! Read the headings below to learn more about the requirements and documentation you'll need to complete your online renewal process, and when you're ready, click the red button below to begin your application.
If your driver license has been expired for more than 30 days, you are required to visit an exam station in-person and pass a knowledge test. If you have a motorcycle endorsement (Class 2 license), you will have to take the operator's knowledge test and the motorcycle knowledge test.
If you are required to test to renew your driver license, you must schedule an appointment. Click here for testing appointment information.
If your ID card has been expired for more than 30 days and you are eligible to renew, you can complete the renewal process online or by mail.
If you need to visit an exam station in-person, you may print and complete your application before going to the exam station. No digital, electronic, or stamped signatures allowed on the application.
If you prefer to renew your driver license in-person at an exam station, we assure you walk-in customers are wecome. We would encourage you to schedule an appointment so you don't have to sit in the waiting area. Use our scheduling tool to make an appointment!
You can also print and complete your application before going to the exam station. No digital, electronic, or stamped signatures allowed on the application.
You may be eligible to renew or request a duplicate (replacement) license or card online or by mail. If your license or ID card has not yet expired and you did not use the online or mail-in method 5 years ago (the last time you renewed or replaced), then you may be eligible!
- If you plan to visit South Dakota to renew or replace your South Dakota driver license or ID card, it may be helpful to schedule an appointment at the Driver Exam Station you plan to visit. To schedule an appointment, please click here. We recommend you schedule your appointment well in advance so you can time the appointment to coincide with your visit to South Dakota.
- Walk-in customers are welcome at all South Dakota Driver Exam Stations if you prefer not to schedule an appointment. Find a location here.
- A completed Residency Affidavit. If applying online or by mail, your signature on this form must be notarized by a public notary. California public notary page must specify the accompanying document being signed for.
- A receipt from a South Dakota hotel/motel, campground or RV park to prove one night of stay within the last year. The receipt must include your name and South Dakota address.
- One document (no more than one year old) proving your personal mailbox (PMB) service address. This document could include a receipt from the PMB business or a piece of mail (cannot be handwritten) with your PMB address on it. Virtual addresses or virtual postal addresses will not be accepted.
If you have friends or family in South Dakota and plan to use their address, you must complete the Consent for Use of Address form.
Military personnel and their dependents stationed overseas may use two address documents proving their APO/FPO address. Military personnel and their dependents stationed in another state may provide two address documents proving their out-of-state residential address. Click here to learn about the other required documents.
If you are renewing your driver license online or by mail and are age 65 or older, you must provide a vision statement along with the other required documents.
The form must be completed by an eye doctor and be dated within one year of the date you apply to renew your license. Your vision scores must be recorded on our vision statement form. You may print the form and take it with you for your eye exam or ask your eye doctor to print and complete the form for you.
Ready for Online Renewal?
If you’re ready to begin, click the red box below to start your renewal or request a duplicate online. The link will take you to an SD.Gov knowledge article. In the upper right corner of the knowledge article, you'll see the "Submit Application" button. When you click on that, you will be asked to create a login and password for the SD.Gov site. Once you create your SD.Gov login, you will use it to conduct all of your online business with other state agencies (for example, getting a fishing or hunting license, making camping reservations, etc.). You cannot complete the online driver license renewal process without creating a login identity on the SD.Gov site.
Once finished with your online application, your license will be mailed to you in 3-4 weeks. If you are mailing your proof of address or vision statement documents (instead of uploading them electronically), it may take longer for your license to arrive.
All information from your online transaction will be secure. A payment processing fee of $2.00 will be charged in addition to the renewal fee. If you’re having difficulties using this site, email us or call (605) 773-6883.
Requirements & Documentation Needed
You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
You must currently have an unexpired, federally compliant driver’s license/ID card with a gold star in the upper right corner.
- You’ll need to provide your driver’s license/ID card number, date of birth and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- You’ll need to upload, email, fax (605-773-3018), or mail two documents to prove your residential/physical address (cannot be handwritten documents). Documents must show your name and must be less than one year old. Active military personnel and their dependents may use two documents proving their out-of-state residential address or APO/FPO address (if stationed overseas). If you are a full-time traveler or use a personal mail box (PMB) service and hold a South Dakota Driver License or ID card, click here for additional required documents you'll need to provide for your online renewal.
- If you’re 65 or older, a vision statement less than one year old is also required. Scores must be recorded on our vision statement form.
- Drivers who wear bioptic lenses aren’t eligible for online renewal.
- We accept Visa or MasterCard for payment.
You need to visit a Driver Licensing location if:
- You have not applied in person in the last ten years.
- You wish to change your name.
- You wish to change your license class, CDL class, or endorsements.
- You are required to take a driving test. Appointment required for drive tests - click here to make appointment
- You wear bioptic lenses.
- You have updated your status with USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.)
You can schedule an appointment or walk into any Driver License Exam Location. You may print and complete the application and take it with you to the exam station. No digital, electronic, or stamped signatures allowed on the application.
If you have been issued a driver's license or ID card in another state, your South Dakota license or ID card is inactive, and you are not eligible for online renewal.
Renew Online Documents
You may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view files.
|Document Requirements 2023.pdf